Whether you are a supermodel or pageant competitor, you want to do whatever you can keep your body looking lean, but curvy. In my experience training, I have found these 4 exercises to be the most effective in shaping the feminine physique.
1. Lunges work all major muscle groups in the legs. It’s an exercise that is a must if you want leaner legs. You can perform them stationary or walking. I recommend performing 3 sets of 15-25 repetitions, 3 days per week. How to perform a lunge:
• Stand with feet together.
• Take a big step forward, and then slowly lower your body into a lunge position.
• Make sure your knee is above your ankle, keeping it at a 90 degree angle.
• Slowly push back up to starting position, pushing from your heel.
• Do not lean forward when lunging.
• Do not position your knee in front of your ankle.
• Do not hunch forward.
2. The Squat is another one that works most of the muscles in the legs and thighs; especially the gluteus. If you want to reshape or tone your booty, try the squat. Perform 3 sets of 15-25 repetitions, 3 days per week. How to perform a Squat:
• Stand with feet hip distance apart with your toes, knees and hips in a straight line.
• Pull your belly button towards your spine and contract your abdominal muscles.
• Slowly lower your body, as though you are sitting in a chair. Make sure your knees are behind your toes.
• Keeping the weight in your heels, slowly push your body back to starting position.
• At the top of the movement, do NOT lock your knees. Keep a slight bend in them.
• Repeat the movement for the required number of repetitions.
3. Bicycle crunches hits the obliques (love handles) and lower abs. These are two main areas of the abs that women struggle to lose. How to perform a bicycle crunch:
• Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground and contract your core muscles.
• With your hands gently holding your head, lift your knees to about a 45-degree angle.
• Slowly, at first, go through a bicycle pedal motion.
• Alternately touching your elbows to the opposite knees as you twist back and forth.
• Breathe evenly throughout the exercise.
4. Interval sprints will really speed up your ability to lose fat. It will also help you maintain muscle tone as you lose the fat.
• Perform a light warm-up to loosen up your connective tissue and muscles. Walk at a fast pace for two to three minutes, then jog for five minutes.
• Run your intervals. Mark off a distance where you are running that is 40 to 50 yards long. After doing your warm-up, come to this location and sprint as hard as you can for the whole distance. Jog back to your starting point and sprint again. Repeat this sequence five to six times.
• Add more sprints to the sequence as you build your endurance each. The workout should take no more than 20 minutes. Perform about 3 times per week.